Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 17: Mofongo and Tempeh

Do you have Terry Hope Romero's Viva Vegan? If you don't, go out and get it now. It's amazing. The first recipe I made from it was Pan-Fried Tempeh with Sofrito. It now makes regular appearances at my dinner table. Basically, it's tempeh that is pan-fried with really amazing spices.



I like to serve it with a lower-fat version of mofongo. Mofongo is usually made with fried green plantains, so it's not exactly low in points. My family usually makes it with boiled plantains instead.

No-Fry Mofongo



4 green plantains, peeled
1 small or medium garlic clove, minced (to taste)
salt, to taste

Boil the plantains until tender. Transfer the plantains to a large bowl, add garlic and salt and mash together. You don't need to mash a heck of a lot, just let it stay coarse. If you want, drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil over the mixture.


1 comment:

  1. I love the basic sofrito in VV too! But I haven't made mofongo yet, I have to try your version!

    ReplyDelete