Friday, November 12, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 12: Mofo Survey

This survey was created by a bunch of us on the PPK forums. And it looked fun, so I'm doing it too.

What's your favorite spice or spice blend?
I think cumin wins as most used spice

You have $20 to spend on fresh groceries and produce for the whole week (with a fairly well stocked pantry of dry goods, legumes, grains, and spices). what do you buy?
Tofu, spinach, kale, tomatoes, peppers. Basically whatever veggies are cheapest/in season.

What's your favorite way to make tofu?
Soaked in a teriyaki-type marinade and baked or dry-fried with kale over rice.

Vegan guilty pleasure?
Chocolate.

If you could make anyone vegan, who would it be?
Obama. That would be fun.

If you could only read one other vegan blog, what would it be?
The ppk blog.

Were you always interested in cooking, or did veganism change the way you saw and interacted with food?
I always liked to cook, but never like this. I never created recipes or took pictures of my food before. I used to cook just because I was hungry, but now I want to share ideas with others so we can learn from each other. It feels like more of a community now.

Excluding analogues, what new things have you tried that you probably wouldn't have as an omni?
70% of the vegetable I now love--like kale, swiss chard, bok choy, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, etc. Well, I probably would have tried it, but I wouldn't have given it a real chance. I would have made up my mind before it even touched my tongue.

What is the one vegan staple that everyone seems to love, but you can't get behind?
Nutritional yeast. Sorry, I just hate it.

What was your first "wow, I'm such a stereotypical vegan" moment?
Hmmm, I can't really remember. But when I first went vegan, I didn't really have a stereotype formed in my mind. The couple of vegans I knew were so different from each other.

First recipe you veganized?
I think it was pepper steak. I got veggie steak strips and used the same marinade I used to use for pepper steak. It wasn't very good. 

What would you like to veganize, but haven't yet?
A bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich. It's doable, just haven't yet.


Favorite kitchen utensil/appliance?
I have this small spatula/turner that I use all the time. It's short and black and made of plastic. It's thin enough to get under tofu and sturdy enough to use to flip around veggies in a stir fry. It looks a little like this:

Most disastrous kitchen failure? 
I made biscuits using baking soda instead of baking powder. It was horrible. I had been really excited about the biscuits. Maybe it's not the most disastrous, but definitely one of the saddest.

First vegan cookbook?
How It All Vegan


What question about being vegan do you HATE answering?
"Where do you get your protein?" "Do you eat cheese/milk/fish?" But I think the number one MOST annoying one is "What do you use instead of eggs/milk/etc. for cupcakes/cookies/etc?" Geez, people, I don't substitute everything; maybe the recipe has a whole different structure! Did you ever think that maybe the recipe never called for eggs? To me, it's like asking "Who's the man?" in a lesbian relationship.

If you could tell the world one thing about vegans, what would it be?
We're not all crazy. Most of us don't hate you for eating meat. Sometimes it's hard, but the hardest parts are usually due to veganism not being respected and accepted in our society. We'd like it if you tried. We'd love it if you ate a vegan meal at least once in a while. I understand that it's hard to say goodbye to cheese forever, but just because you don't want your favorite animal products to be gone forever, it doesn't mean you have to have it every day.

Funniest vegetable?
Broccoflower: Is it broccoli? Is it cauliflower? Who knows?

What is a family recipe you have veganized?
Rice and Beans and Pollo Guisado

Weirdest food combination?
 I don't really like fruits in savory stuff, like pineapple fried rice.

Is there something you wish you could veganize, but can't/couldn't?
Velveeta Mac and Cheese.

Favorite non-dairy milk?
Trader Joe's regular soy milk.

What’s one “vegan myth” you’d like to squash? 
We don't always crave salad! I'm not going out to a restaurant for iceberg lettuce or french fries! And I swear, we're not all crazy. It's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment