Sunday, October 23, 2011

Vegan MoFo Day 23: Corn Crusted Pumpkin-Potato Empanadas

Pumpkin-Potato Empanadas

Holy cow these are so good. When I saw this recipe in Viva Vegan, I knew I had to make it. Pretty much anything is delicious if it's wrapped in dough. These were no exception to the rule. The filling is a combination of boiled pumpkins and potatoes cooked with a flavorful sofrito. So simple and so delicious! And the dough is even simpler, just some precooked masarepa corn flour mixed with water and salt. I found the flour at a local Latin market in the section with cornmeal and masa harina.

Pumpkin-Potato Empanadas

NOTE: I made and photographed these when I went to my mom's house for a visit, so the kitty wasn't available for a picture. But this guy was! This is Junior, he's 3 years old and he lives at my mom's house (where I used to live as well). He's always so good when he's posing for my stupid pictures.

Empanada
Makes about 20 dog-paw sized empanadas (for size comparison, the kitten is about the size of Junior's head)

4 comments:

  1. I made some Viva Vegan! empanadas this weekend too and yours look great!

    Junior is such a cutie and I can't believe he's not eating that, my cats wouldn't have sat still with an empanada in front of them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viva Vegan is on my wish list - and these pictures bump it up a notch or two! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious, and I'm envious of your photography skills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How have I not made these yet. They are only outshone by the Junior's adorableness.

    ReplyDelete