Saturday, October 22, 2011

Vegan MoFo Day 21: Pumpkin Pie!

I'm way late in posting yesterday's entry. My internet decided to stop working (Only on my computer, as luck would have it. My roommates had fine connections). Last night was a friend's birthday party. I volunteered to bring pumpkin pie. I used the recipe from Vegan Pie In the Sky (it's the same as the one in Voluptuous Vegan, but without the pecan topping).  I thought maybe my high fructose corn syrup intake was a little low these days, so I used Rich Whip instead of making the Rad Whip from VPITS. It whipped up so quickly and easily and has a great taste that I may be likely to use it again in the future.


I've always been nervous about making my own pie crusts, but I knew the right thing to do was conquer my fears and make my own crust. I don't know what I was apprehensive about. It worked out great. I'd even go as far to say it was easy. The crust was sitting on the table while I made the filling. And of course, the unattended food was a kitty magnet resulting in a cute, tiny paw print in my crust.

pie1

Check out my purty scalloped edge, too!

The pie was a big hit at the party. Many omnis confirmed that this pie is as good as, if not better than, the non-vegan pumpkin pies they've had. The texture was perfect and the crust was amazing. I was surprised by how easy it was. Basically, you just have to measure everything, mix it up in a food processor, and pour it into a crust.

pie5
So pretty!

pie6
Makes one kitten-sized pie, of course.

2 comments:

  1. That little paw print is adorable. So glad you've conquered your pastry fears - 'tis easy huh! Gorgeous looking pie.
    <:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful looking pie! and kitty of course! <3

    ReplyDelete